It is often necessary to alert or inform the user of ephemeral or contextual information that is not a fixed part of the interface. Two primary ways of displaying alerts are by using an alert box or a modal.
Use an Alert Box When the Alert:
- Is non-critical
e.g. unsaved changes
- Pertains to a specific component or section on the current page
Use a Modal When the Alert:
- Is communicating a significant error
- Would prevent accidental data loss that is difficult to reverse
- Should prevent the user from attempting other actions
e.g. connection failure
- Is about a user-triggered background task not visible on the current page
e.g. failed query run
Test Your Knowledge!
Sep 27, 2019